09/24/2026
MRI Update
We got the results from Eli's MRI on Monday, which was done right after we got back from vacation. Overall, his scan is stable compared to his September 4th MRI. Nothing has grown, and we are incredibly thankful for that. 🙏🏼
The part we are still dealing with is the spinal fluid collecting in the cystic cavity where his original tumor was removed. Right now, there is about 35 mL of spinal fluid built back up.
Eli currently has a reservoir in his head that allows his neurosurgery team to drain that spinal fluid when it builds up. When they originally placed the reservoir, they chose it instead of putting in a permanent shunt because the main goal at that time was getting him through and finishing radiation without another bigger surgery.
Now that radiation is behind us, we had a conversation with his neurosurgeon about what is best for Eli long-term. Having to tap the reservoir and drain fluid every couple of weeks just isn't something we want him to continue going through if there is a better long-term option. Because the fluid continues to come back, we are now looking at having a shunt placed sometime in October or early November. The shunt would give the fluid a way to drain after reaching a certain pressure rather than letting it build up and needing to be manually drained over and over again.
We are hopeful that this will make things easier and more comfortable for him long-term, but at the same time, the thought of another brain surgery is scary. He has already been through so much in such a short amount of time, and it is hard knowing we are preparing to hand him over for another procedure.
Where we are right now
As we write this, we are in the emergency department with Eli. He was scheduled to have his reservoir tapped tomorrow to remove some of the spinal fluid, but he started showing some concerning symptoms. Because of his midline shift, we did not want to take any chances of things rupturing or of him dealing with worsening symptoms, so we decided to bring him in and get him tapped as soon as possible.
For now, we are holding onto the biggest piece of news: his MRI is stable. Nothing has grown. We will continue taking this one step at a time and trusting that God is walking right beside Eli through all of this.
Please continue to pray for Eli tonight as he gets his tap, for his neurosurgery team as they make plans for the shunt, and for peace for all of us as we prepare for what comes next. 🦁🩶🧠
You can tell he doesn’t feel good in this photo, but we can still work a laugh or smile out of him. 🩶 He’s a trooper! 🦁